Thursday, 27 December 2007

More of yesterday

So what I didn't write yesterday was that I didn't last the day in my pajamas...too anal retentive for that. I showered and went to the DVD store, picked out a whole series of art house movies and drove to the beach (there is never enough water in my life).
I sat there for half an hour watching the guys surf. Its a little known fact that I love surfing, watching surfers and hiring Surfing DVDs. No one knows this.
Have I ever surfed? No. But in my dreams I am THE surfer. I watch them become one with the waves and imagine the freedom and the exhilaration of conquering a small surge of water. I like their focus and their dedication to the task. Hours and hours waiting, half paddle, surge, let the wave go, every now and then they'll go for it. Waves in New Zealand are nothing like Hawaii, is any place? Ours are 1-2m, not a lot of sweeping shots of a mountain of water approaching....if you know what I mean.
Those tsunami exist only in my dreams when my life is totally out of control.

Oops, digression be thy name. I went for a walk along the pier in the rain (cue water). I felt the chilled sharpness of the wind on my rain-soaked face and smiled, because I knew I was definitely alive. No matter how dull my emotions may feel, how flat my pulse might seem, I am here and alive. I came home to change and decided that now that I was moving I best carry on.
I went to the mall and joined all the Boxing Day Sales worshippers to get milk, bread and half price chocolates for...no reason:)
I got two calendars at half price too, 365 days of Shoes and 365 days of Handbags. In complete contrast to my obsession with Surfing, I am also a shoes and handbag worshipper. Can you see a pattern building? If its not 110% obsession, its nothing....needless to say, I was VERY excited to get those two calendars. These are not your everyday shoes and bags, puh-lease, these are iconic pieces of art!

I left the mall and came home for a bath, thinking I would watch a couple of DVDs before bed when my phone rang. A friend from my old work days rang and asked if I'd like to go for a drink. I ended up meeting her at a local bar and we stayed there till 10.30pm.....had a great time catching up, swapping war stories, talking about men and agreeing that we'll work together. She works in media and advertising....and will create some 'promotional' opportunities for a percentage of sales. I'm all for it.

So although yesterday started out dark with the consistency of quicksand, it definitely didn't end that way. I must be healing eh? :)
Thank god for rainbows in the rain.

H2

1 comment:

Bettie K. said...

I am so glad that you weren't able to stay in your PJs...truth be told, I have never been able to do either. I am hoping, however, that you decide to learn how to surf...the waves seem to be calling.