Saturday, 22 December 2007

A case of too muchitis

OK, so I have a problem. Actually, I have a few problems, but today I will concentrate on the one at hand.

I have just been to 7 garage sales this morning. Living in Chch is like the best kept garage sale secret in the world. This city is by far the best for second hand any-mafangle you can think of.

I bought two lazyboy rockers this morning for $20, dark blue, awesome condition, just what I need to laze in over the Xmas period.....just like I need a lobotamy to match the 3 armchairs which are currently in the lounge and will need a new home...what? the garage you say? ummm well thats currently full of the 'other' period pieces I've bought. 4 Retro yellow vinyl armchairs (mint condition, mind you!) a conservatory suite (even though I don't have a conservatory); a bath with matching handrail (getting around to it list), a stove (another getting around to it task) a stereo; kitchen counter and 2 walls cabinets. If I was playing in the left field of my mind I could set up a very groovy, chilled out cafe in the garage, only trouble of course is that its a garage......and I'm neither groovy or chilled out.

I look around my lounge and I've dumped the 2 lazyboys in the middle of the lounge on purpose. It means I can't move around anything until I have sorted their status and placement in the house. See, I even have to play psychological games with myself to get me from A to B, cos it sure as shit ain't gonna happen otherwise. Otherwise the garage door will roll up and I'll add another piece of furniture to that Bonfire I'm building out there.

There is such a thing as too much and I've reached it. It doesn't matter that nothing is worth over $100, its the incessant need to gather and hoard more thats the problem.

Buyers Anonymous give me a call, I need a lifetime subscription please. WTF? it comes with a set of yellow placemats with matching salt and pepper shakers if I subscribe today??? Awesome, order me two:)

Adios

H2

2 comments:

Bettie K. said...

In our neighborhood garage sales are awful...one of my neighbors tried to sell nylons. Now granted, they were unopened, but please. If I could buy I chair for $20 I would be all over it too. I am a sales "horror". If I get something for a really good price, I display the sales tag on the fridge for all to see...

Watergurl said...

I'm all over it like a rash Sarah, and I mean ALL OVER IT. Although I draw the line at knocking people down, its very close.....:)Retro or kitsch are my all time favourites. I visited the markets in Albuequeque last year and seriously pondered the cost of a shipping container from New Mexico to NZ....I hope they invent a pill for my condition soon ;)