Friday, 4 January 2008

Rollin'

So my agreement is that from today I start work again. I've spent the last three days camped out in an area surrounded by rainforest, no internet, no tv and alot of family, celebrating a beloved nephews 21st birthday.
It was a great couple of days, with just the right amount of time together. Any more than that and I would have had to call in the riot police as tensions sometimes rise when there are 20 people trying to occupy one house :) We managed to make it through with only one outbreak which was quickly dampened down. I was pleased about that, because I seriously restrict my time with family these days. Too many dramatic, sometimes violent encounters between other family members has made me very wary of how much time I will spend with them.
Growing up my nephew was alot like Dennis the Menace (cartoon character, little brat, mischievious, rascal, ratbag). I remember years ago when my sister and I lived together and her son,who is the same age as my daughter, used to terrorise her by chasing her around the house on his bike. Hence I was constantly chasing him. They were 3 years old when we shared a house. They are as close as any brother and sister can be. He has grown to be a handsome (unbiased opinion), loving, gregarious, hardworking rascal. He works in the mines in the far north of Queensland, earns outrageous money and loves his job.
We (the aunts) made him a necklace of money because he now lives in Australia and doesn't have the luggage allowance for big presents. His mother gave him a gorgeous whalebone pendant and his sister gave him a wahaika style handclub. No 21st keys anywhere :)
The younger(i.e not me) ones stayed up till 3am partying, I may as well have because I was wide awake with all the noise. The food was fantastic, an earth oven hangi, cooked to perfection. Tender, steamed falling-off-the bone beef and chicken, with mountains of potato, pumpkin, cabbage and stuffing to compliment the meats. Greenery was in the form of spinach and brocoli. Divine.
So now I'm back home, back in a real bed, my bed, bliss.
I arrived home yesterday and more friends arrived last night. Today we meet and plan how they want this year to roll out and how we can achieve that together. They are designers/artists and have worked together to create some truly stunning gear. So our meeting will be about creating a higher profile, seeking national funding and chosing a couple of national events for this year.
Ooops, I'm slipping into work modespeak...LOL. Ok, time to sieze the day. I have work to do. Time and tide waits for no man:)
I'm giving 2008 a loving embrace.

h2

1 comment:

Bettie K. said...

It sounds like you are off to a fantastic start! I am looking forward to hearing about all your artistic adventures!

(you sound so happy---it came through loud in clear in your words)