Friday, 4 July 2008

phones

I have a phone interview today. I'm not a fan of phones, because I can't see their faces and they can't see mine. All the finer communications are in body language and facial expression.
This vital clue is missing over the phone. BUT I have to make do with the situation because an alternative wasn't offered. The position is with a provincial museum, so I don't imagine there was a huge budget to work with. In saying that its a provincial musuem, its one of the more modern ones, good exhibition spaces, solid staff and and a couple of hours drive from the big city.
I was born in this region so it has the footprint on my memory. I'm going to try and convey my personality, knowledge and capabilities over the phone. My goal is to intrigue them enough to fly me up to meet face to face. If I can achieve that, I might seal the deal.
Anyway, from past experience, its not good to be put all of my hopes in to one basket. I am realistic about my chances, but damn, I'll give them something to think about. And I think that's my attitude for interviews, give it my all for the hour and then let it go. I have a meeting with a couple of artists after that. I know by the time I pull out of the driveway in my car I will be mentally moving on to the next meeting.
tally ho chaps

h2

2 comments:

Bettie K. said...

So...what's the verdict? I hate phones too...I have never been a phone person for the very reasons that you listed....

However...I am an email person which is thick with irony because you don't even have the benefit of a voice. Email is really cowardly if you think about it yet I find its convenience to alluring... (as I am typin this, I have a smile on my face and I am screaming the words I type in my head :)

Watergurl said...

half an hour....not a good sign. I have never been in an interview that lasted half an hour.
They said they will get back to me this week to tell me if I got through to the next round. I suppose the upside to phones is that I'm oblivious to their reaction and just burble on, saying whatever I want?
Ever hopeful :)