Sunday, 27 July 2008

Nutshells

I'm surrounded by boxes and tissue, I'm suffocating. I'm packing up my life and moving away to the beach, to a little bach by the sea that is about half the size of my house....

I'm trying to be ruthless, but I'm kidding myself. On my terms I AM being ruthless. To the average person that doesn't have a collecting addiction I am a clutterholic.
But I have made some bold moves that even I am proud of. I sold my 6 seater dining room table and chairs yesterday, 10 yrs of dinners and gathering around that table....not that it had six people around it permanently, but the thought was there :)

Moving to a bach means I will probably pick up a small table with a couple of chairs, somewhere along the way.
I sold my rolled arm, olive green lounge suite yesterday too......its a fantastic old suite, but in reality its just not comfortable....so goodbye dear furniture.

I have around 30 listings on our version of Ebay and I'm obsessively watching them to see if they hatch. I was going to see at the local market today, but its bucketing down, which means that all those people like me will not be scouting around in the rain. Plan B, sell at the Thursday morning market instead. I'm cutting it close though, I leave in one week...eek.

After I sold the dining room table and chairs I felt liberated. I burned all my old paperwork in a brazier outside, some of it I have had for over 15 yrs....I don't know why I kept it for so long, probably along the lines of 'that might come in handy some day' or 'thats a very interesting recipe/article or information'...etc, so forth, I can't remember, but obviously I had an emotional attachment to it. I suppose that's me in a nutshell. I have too many emotional attachments and not enough verbalisations or actions. If I want to go to Morocco then save and do it, but I dont need to keep a brochure about Morocco for 5yrs because the imagery mesmirises me:)

I'm looking at my fridge/freezer now. I have had a family sized fridge for many years, even though my daughter left home a long time ago. I am a single woman with a 6ft fridge/freezer that could hold the contents for a family of 5.

I will let you in on a secret.

I wanted a large family. I always have. I had hoped that one day I would meet someone so special that we would want to have 5 kids together :) That didnt happen and at age 30 I went through surgery (ovarian tumours) induced menopause. No more kids for me. But then the dream changed and I imagined that I might meet someone that would want to adopt or foster 4 more kids :)

I'm going to let that dream go now. I'm going to live my life right this minute and just enjoy what is - just now, right here. I have been a favoured aunty to many of my 17 neices and nephews and that will do.

So when I finish this post I am taking a photo of that fridge and its going online for sale :)

Carpe diem

h2

2 comments:

Bettie K. said...

I am so excited for you! I can't not wait to live vicariously through you at your new home and your new job. Life seems to be going your way and it could not be happening to a more wonderful person!

Watergurl said...

Thanks Sarah :) Let the tide keep flowing....This last month has been turbulent, but in a very good way.
I'm looking forward to the fresh start and the new adventures.