Sunday, 17 February 2008

Belief

After reading a couple of comments left on Sarahs site about god and the universe I realise it can be quite challenging to fess up to your faith or lack of....
I was raised Catholic and I think having refused to attend any more church services 29 yrs ago at the brave old age of 13 (my mother didn't speak to me for about a week after that, coventry, lovely) I have reached my freedom state.
I don't attend anyones church, I won't date someone that is committed to going to church and I have no problem asserting my non-participation rule when the occassion arises. Am I anti? Sort of.

I don't remember a heap of positives associated with religeon. I remember the "you shall not's" and a tonne of damning acts. Not alot of ILU or even that I was divine:)

The further away I get, the more convinced I am about religons role to control the masses. In the old days it was a very useful tool to keep the poor in their place and not stage an uprising i.e Don't covert your neighbours wife or goods buddy, even if I am a Lord and you are my gardener, because there ain't enough room in the 3000 hectare estate for the both of us....a flick of a bible page and your damned because you want more than turnip soup for dinner.

And as a recovering Catholic I stare at the paper and wonder at the paedophilic career options in the Catholic preisthood. Was it marketed in those circles as an 'all you can eat smorgasboard" ? Because, it sure as hell seems like it. The number of cases in NZ per capita is astounding, all under the cloak of a beloved god who should never be questioned and that includes his reps dressed in black cussocks....and then if things get a little hot and parents started asking questions and kids started saying wierd shit about Father Michael you could move to another parish and clap your hands in glee while you eyed the fresh fields. And again, you can't accuse a man that is here in place of GOD of such wickedness, he IS god. Control my mass...rod, staff...yeah, whateva father.

So these days I practise the power of myself, my ability to create change in my life and surroundings. I give thanks for the sunrise, sunset, moon, sun, stars, rain, snow,mountains, hills, rivers, ocean, tides, wind, fog, stones, dirt, flowers, trees, grass, light and dark. Call me new age, I'm down with whateva label you wanna pin on me :) Catholic ain't one of them any more...

4 comments:

Bettie K. said...

Can I get a collective AMEN? Everything I wanted to say, you said in spades. So go ahead an pass your collection plate H2, I'll throw in a dollar (its euro for you, correct?)

I am all for appreciating the simple and not questioning the intangible. If there is one thing I hope to have before I die is a sense of contentment; and that is going to be achieved by me and not by following religion.

Awesome post.

Watergurl said...

LOL, more like ahem....and yes, I will pass around that collection plate and no its not being sent to the fat cats at the Vatican, I'm keeping it for my Charity. The 'save the waterpeople foundations'.

Tex's Missus said...

Hmmmm, I'm a bit stuck on this one actuallhy; while I certainly and unequivocally don't buy into the "God in Heaven and Satan in Hell" fairytale, I do believe in something that's bigger than me, or that is beyond my human reckoning to define...perhaps 'spirituality' or the concept of a 'higher power'.... now, at times for me, that could be nature, a butterly flitting by, a single, perfect flower or a dramatic thunderstorm, or perhaps it's the odd gem of insight and wisdom I seem to find in the posts of my Blog Friends, right when I seem to need it the most :) - it's certainly not some imaginary freaky GOD sitting up in the sky that can see and hear everything :)

But, part of me likes to think that after we die and our bodies are lying in the ground, that there is 'something else' - not reincarnation and not spirit forms floating around haunting houses and people's dreams ... more like energy ...hmmm, might give up here, it's becoming a bit tricky. And part of me recognizes that I try and believe in more than "you are born, you live, you die" because it helps me reconcile or deal with the death of someone I love.

Nah, not religion - but something....maybe ???

Watergurl said...

TM, I wasn't very clear in my post that I do believe in the higer power and I have absolute faith. I suppose I was so busy banging on about what I don't believe in that I missed that extraordinary point :)
I am not a believer of any religon that is organised. I practise my faith through the way I live and give.
I believe in spirit and I believe in the afterlife. A continous cycle.
Hugs

h2