Wednesday, 28 March 2007

Corks in a bottle

The weekend was spectacular, sunny, bright, hot and heavenly. I had a friend stay and we manicly spent a day trying to squeeze in two days of activity. Dinner at a little vegetarian restaurant 'The lotus heart', its atmosphere was like heavens waiting room. The colours and the vibe were very tranquil, I couldnt imagine a rowdy family dinner there. Very sophisticated and the food was good. All the women wore sari and most times I am really dubious of non Indians wearing sari, its a little crazy to me, too much wannabe when you just need to be. But they were ok and it added to the ambience. There was one strange moment when they sang happy birthday to someone of importance who was dining that same night. It was a very Catholic school choir rendition of the song, chanted, gregorian monk-like....I wondered if the roller doors might come down over the windows and doors for a split second, trapping us for eternity. All in all, a very unique, pleasant evening, thoroughly surreal.
In the morning we crashed and bashed our way through 10 garage sales and fairs. Both of us are manic about these types of events. Beady eyes, quick hands, moving swiftly in for the kill. Its all a game to be played with oneself, can you scour and detect the very best item there and then obtain it for the least amount of money? All to be bought home like a magpies treasure chest and admired all over again before each treasure finds a new home in a nook or cranny.
Sunday I went swimming, I dove into the rolling waves and proceeded to get knocked off my feet, onto my knees, gulping litres of sea water, filling my ears (which drives me into a frenzy trying to shake it out) and generally thrashed around like a cork in a bottle. Loved it, loved the feeling of the waves, the water, the sun and sand. Trying to swim beyond the breaking waves and being thrown back into their path, like being pawed around by a really really big cat.
The sea or any body of water invigorates me, I leave the water feeling alive, refreshed and revived. Water will always be my purification, it is so easy to understand why it is reverred by so many around the world. The act of cleansing can be total in spirit, body and mind.
The day begins, carpe diem :)

No comments: