Sunday, 25 February 2007

Apathy, a killer of aspiration

Its been around 30 hours since my last post. I read it and laughed, hell I am a psycho sometimes. I was spitting tacks when I last wrote, sanity has prevailed and I'm back and cruising in 2nd gear. Its been a busy day, cleaned house, went to a travel expo and finally attended a concert. The title of my blog total relates to the concert. It was a great concert, free to the public, great bands, stalls and food - but where was the peoples? Was it because it was a Mana in the Park? Is it because people are too freaked out to attend Maori organised events in Christchurch? Is it because there is too much apathy in the water?
I've got no answers but it was really sad to see sooo much effort be supported by so few. Yeah, we can b#tch and moan about the state of affairs but if you're not supporting the cause, then better go back to bed and shut up. Being Maori in a country that wants you to fall into the sea and disappear is a strange feeling, so its of the utmost importance that we uphold all things positive about our culture and thats means tautoko, manaakitanga, whakawhanaungatanga, aroha, katakata and mana. Smoking, drinking, polluting the body through smoking, drinking, eating junk, taking drugs, violence in a physical or verbal sense is a killer of my people. All these vices are symbols of our shackles, our spiritual bondage that binds us to a smaller, polluted world that allows no room for sun or freedom. Apathy is our inverted anger, our rage against ourselves, our inability to find that inner door that sets us free.
That apathy kills dreams, throws water on the smouldering fire and is like a labotomy for the soul. Fight but fight our inner demons first, take no prisoners from our personal vices, clear out the garbage from our own sewers. I sometimes think we are so worried about what others will think or percieve about us that we get stuck in the "what if" thinking instead of the "I can" action. Carpe Diem, seize the day and squeeze the life out of it. Death is coming for all of us, so live large and laugh. Break free from the mind and look for the bigger picture, just as I need to do on a regular basis when I'm having a day like yesterday.
Love to the sky
H2

No comments: